Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Matt DeVries now in Fear Factory, did you see that one coming?


Well, looks like Matt DeVries has found himself in the middle of a wonderful little heavy metal shell game. In November, he announced that he would no longer be Chimaira’s rhythm guitarist after their annual Christmas show, this following news a few months earlier that he and fellow Chimaira guitarist Rob Arnold would become members of Six Feet Under (on bass and guitar respectively). Then last week, DeVries announced that he’d quit Six Feet Under. Well, now what’s he going to do. The man’s a great guitarist and bassist, it seems like all of this coming about seems like maybe his heart isn’t into touring anymore, especially since he’s got a 2-3 year old kid at home. Well, it seems that’s not the case, because the man has announced that he’s the new bassist for Fear Factory.

Yes, that’s right boys and girls, DeVries is to be replacing Byron Stroud in Fear Factory, shortly after the announcement that Stroud would be joining 3 Inches of Blood as their new bass player (though, I don’t think they announced that he was quitting). Here’s a statement from DeVries via Metalsucks about his new job.

“I have been asked by Dino [Cazares, guitarist, duh] and Burton [C. Bell, vocalist, double-duh] to join one of my favorite bands. I have been a fan of Fear Factory since 1992 and I could not be more excited to be part of this incredible band. We have shared the stage many times together and now I’m beyond stoked to be on the same stage playing together. Thank you to all my fans worldwide for sticking by me and I will be seeing you all on the road very soon.”

The band also released a statement on their Facebook page saying that specific details with regards to Fear Factory’s new album are expected to be released in the coming week. I’m curious to see how DeVries preforms in Fear Factory. I think it’ll be freaking awesome. DeVries was a phenomenal player in Chimaira, great to watch on stage, I think this will be a good spot for him. Hopefully we aren’t hearing about him quitting Fear Factory in a month to join up with someone else.

Chimaira released The Age of Hell back in August, Fear Factory and Six Feet Under both have new records to be released sometime this year.

-IH

No comments:

Post a Comment